WAGS: Wonderful Animal Guidance Services
Dr. Sheryl Walker's Biography
- Licensed Family Paws Parent Educator; Family Paws (2022)
- Puppy Start Right Instructor Graduate; Karen Pryor Academy (2015)
- Doctor of Philosophy degree; Animal Behavior; Purdue University, Maddie's Shelter Medicine Program (2014)
- Master of Arts degree; Behavior Analysis; Western Michigan University (2009)
- Bachelor of Science degree; Psychology; Michigan State University (2006)
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
It was apparent at a very early age that I had an affinity for animals. I shared my Home with animals since I was 6 years old. I walked all of the neighborhood dogs, and had a passion for dog training, for which that flame has never extinguished. Positive reinforcement came very naturally to me - it was always about building a bond with the animal. After my life-long aspirations of becoming a veterinarian quickly changed in college, I pursued Psychology and learned that I could take a different path to studying Animal Behavior.
CAREER INTERESTS AND CONTINUING EDUCATION
My current career interests include puppy social development, positive reinforcement training, and setting the entire family unit up for success.
My continuing education includes attending professional development opportunities hosted by the:
- Pet Professional Guild (PPG: http://petprofessionalguild.com/)
- Animal Behavior Management Alliance (ABMA: https://theabma.org/)
- Karen Pryor Academy (KPA: https://karenpryoracademy.com/)
- Family Paws (www.familypaws.com)
I have previously shared my home with rabbits (Pepsi, Thumper, and FooFoo), a cockatiel (Sammy), rats (Harmony, Daisy, Melody, Meleia, Greta, Petunia, and Lily), a wonderful Sheltie (Lucy), a Beagle (Spuddy) who passed away in 2020 due to cancer, and a German Shepherd/Rottweiler (Luigi) who also passed away in 2020 due to cancer.
I currently share my home with my husband, Bobby, and Katy Purry the cat. She was the resident cat at the shelter where I did my Ph.D. research, and she adopted me :0) She is constantly making me laugh, and has been extra cuddly since her big brothers have passed away.